Sunday, September 14, 2014

Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131904 -While updating a list item.

We had this issue, in one of our application in my farm. User's were not able to edit a list and it was throwing this error. "System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException: Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131904".

Googling pointed  out that there might be a problem in the content database.

1) So we increased the Content DB Autogrowth size from 50MB to 500MB. This has not resolved the issue.

2) Dropped the indexes and recreated the indexes for the problematic list. This also did not resolve the issue.

Finally found the issue is with UserType look-up fields did not have target list defined and hence cannot locate the users it needs to. So had to update the affected fields to the correct reference of User Information List, exported the list, deleted the original list item from the list settings (Make sure you have content DB backup) and import the list again. This solved the problem.

Many people had different way of fixing the "HRESULT: 0x80131904" error , but in my case it was for look up column. Hope it helps.

1 comment:

  1. Hi All,

    Even I had observed this issue and I struggled lot to resolved it.

    I was getting same exception when I add lookup column in the List2 view. The lookup column was from List1.
    I tried many solutions that I found in the blogs. Even I tried above solution, but it didn't worked in my case.
    Finally I just thought; lets try with saving List1 as a template. So I save the List1 as a template and removed existing List1. And recreate new List with this template with same name. Now when I add lookup column into List2 and in the view. Now it was not throwing any exception.
    Issue resolved !!!

    Manjit Jagtap